Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Trump: non whites; non Christians; the showers.

By Cyrano

Today, for the first time in over a month, I tuned my TV to a "news" station. It was CNN.

Although I spend time online, I somehow missed mentions of the rise of anti-semitism in America. But this morning, watching CNN, reality hit me in the face like a sledge hammer. Until today, I had no idea of the degree to which synagogues and Jewish cemeteries had been defaced in many areas of the country. (I guess my ignorance of what's going on is the price of trying to tune out reality for a while.)

I live in Palm Beach County, Florida where there is a large population of blacks, Hispanics and Jews, which is why this County always votes Democratic.

But to get back to the point. Trump's hatred of Muslims is out in the open for everyone to see. His animosity towards black people is only slightly more subtle. And then there is the claim he made that "I am the least anti-Semitic person person you've ever seen."

I know a few Muslims, and quite a few blacks and Jews. The Muslims I know are American citizens and didn't vote for Trump. None of the blacks I know voted for Trump. But two of the Jews I know did vote for him.

Since being elected, Trump has appointed Steve Bannon, a notorious white supremacist, as his chief of staff. And he's appointed Jeff Sessions, a lifelong bigot, as his Attorney General. These appointments are statements that are impossible to misread. The words that come out of Trump's mouth are meaningless bullshit. His appointments are solid demonstrations of who he is.

Earlier today, I mentioned this to a Jewish acquaintance who voted for Trump. He took offense at what I was saying. For some unimaginable reason, he didn't relate Trump's ascendance to power, with the rise of anti semitism in the country. That's when I totally lost it. I asked him if he'd "get it" as he was being marched to "the showers."

He hung up on me and I doubt if we'll ever speak again. But I firmly believe that Trump has opened the door to the unspeakable horrors that we've seen in the not too distant past.

Without our strong, sustained opposition, I really believe that Muslims, blacks, Jews, and every other religious or racial minority will soon be (or actually are) in dire danger. And yes, I know how extreme that sounds. But then, what sane, intelligent German citizen could have foreseen, back in the early 1930s, what their country was about to become? Many of them didn't go along with it. But it didn't take long before the reality that descended on them became apparent. Their speaking out would result in the death of their families and themselves.

To anyone who believes "It can't happen here," wake up. Tens of millions of your fellow Americans voted for the monstrosity in the White House and the criminal enterprise called the Republican Party. If you believe that these people have any conscience, "patriotism," or any other so called American value, don't be surprised when you find youself being crushed like like a roach by an iron boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers, stay out. Only political and video game discussion here.