Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Someone finished Doom's insane permadeath mode without any upgrades

By Zero Master

Doom on Ultra-Nightmare difficulty without any upgrades!

The graphic settings are different for this run compared to my previous ultra-nightmare run. I changed to ultra settings and 105 FOV (120 FOV is max, my other video was 90). I also reduced the bitrate\quality of the recording a bit to reduce the size\upload time. I also removed glory kill highlight, compass and changed crosshair.

No upgrades are:
- No weapon upgrades
- No armor upgrades
- No runes
- No argent cells (first cell is forced)

And no use of glitches\sequence skips, as that would make it trivial.

- No weapon upgrades does a lot less damage.
- The armor upgrades are very useful for preventing massive damage from barrels and self-rockets, and also missing faster weapon switch as well as more effective powerups\grenades. A single barrel or a face rocket can end your run very quickly.
- No runes will not allow me to grab runes like for example saving throw which gives me a second chance, rich get richer which gives me infinite ammo, or equipment powerup which allows me to get armor from the siphon grenades.
- No argent cells gives me a lot less health, armor and ammo. I can't afford to lose my health from the mega health powerups later on, as I can't go over 100\50 from pickups. The lack of ammo makes it very important to be aware of where the ammo pickups are and not to waste the chainsaw ammo.

This UNM run is over an hour faster than my previous one, the main reasons are because I play a lot better, I know where to go and without upgrades I don't have to spend any time doing rune challenges, grabbing secrets etc.

Why did I decide to do it without upgrades? Apparently a lot of people have beaten it now on ultra-nightmare, so I figured I'd take it a step further. But the main reason is because it's a very fun way to play the game! I play a lot more aggressive this time and I don't end up just using gauss cannon with rich get richer rune to clear everything late game.

Misc:

Previously I've died at the cyberdemon to a very strange attack combo that I don't think should be possible, (you can watch that here: https://youtu.be/2Ph7FYhwics

 I also died at the hell guardians, I didn't practice the fight properly and without upgrades it was more difficult than last time. Also included in the video above is a death at titan's realm.

I had a crash at the start of the 4th level, never happened there before. I didn't have any other crashes besides that and fortunately it happened at the start of the level.

I don't know why my helmet was white at the hell guardians, never seen that before, as it should be either red or yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers, stay out. Only political and video game discussion here.